It's not about the money.......It's connection............Fundraiser update.

We are now a week into the release of the big dream of Lord Byron's Don Juan the web series. It is exciting to watch it grow and have people believe not only in the project, but in the intention behind it.  It is quite moving to connect with people that have been very influential in my life, and then to have them support a project that is a big dream for me. Very affirming.



 A bridge to the past.  In this fundraiser, I've had a few people step up to donate that I have had a connection to for a long time. When we were in 4th grade, we were all selected to play munchkins in the high school production of the Wizard of Oz.  This was a moving experience on many levels. Performance, older people, and an introduction into a creative expression of theatre.

So here we are 42 years later, and a significant number of the donors to step up are people that were munchkins with me in that high school production back in 1976. That is very moving. Something that makes me reflect on connection to people and memory and how those threads can stay active for so long.

I think about Bob McAllister who cast us in the crazy production. He made a significant influence on me because I am still trying to express through story telling. I think of time and how it can pass on, but memory and connection seems to supersede that.  I think of Art and expression and how it can be such a powerful inspiration to people in different ways. Such beautiful thoughts to pass through me as I try to bring a poem to life that is about connection and the power that it brings.



Focusing in. The idea of fundraising is to achieve success through acquiring the funds to accomplish your goals. The benefit of participating in a project like this is the connection from all walks of your life that this highlights. It is inspiring and moving that an added benefit of fundraiser is the theme of your project, connection, is happening as a result of the fundraiser.

In fact, it goes further then that. Raising money is one thing. But connection to people that you love is Everything.  I am a 2 time cancer survivor. When you are facing your own mortality, you don't say "wow look at all the money I made."  You say "who are the people you love, and did I express that I loved them enough." That is the real currency. 

It is both ironic and moving that this process highlights these thoughts for me as I try to raise funds.




It is a light bulb moment.

Who would have thought that 8 year old munchkins would support each other later in life as adults. That is a connection that is both special and rare. It is beautiful and it somehow touches on the divine because it is unexplainable. But when the light bulb comes on in. It shines the light and pushes away the darkness.

Thank you donors and supporters. Thank you people that love poetry. Thank you people that believe. Connection and love is the true currency that makes life so beautiful.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lord Byron's Don Juan update.

Don Juan the web series